Sunday, 17 April 2016

UK pledges to assist Nigeria with £32 million in fight against Boko- Haram

The United Kingdom has reassured Nigeria of its commitment and support to fighting against Boko Haram by pledging £32 million within the next three-year period.
 
Premium Times reports. This money will be used for delivering humanitarian assistance and for protection of the insurgency victims in the northeast. 

This was made known by Nick Hurd, the UK minister for international development, who said this financial support would help provide relief for more than seven million Nigerians suffering from the crisis.

He was quoted as saying by the NAN: 

“The very long partnership between UK and Nigeria matters a great deal to us; even my Prime Minister has made it very clear that we stand shoulder to shoulder with Nigeria in the battle against Boko Haram. 

“We understand how many thousands and millions of peoples’ lives have been devastated by the atrocities in the northeast. 

“We are determined to help our own friend and partner to defeat that barbaric group.” 

He said his country was pleased with the successes so far recorded by the military against Boko Haram insurgents recently.

He added the funds would be directed through the United Nations, the International Committee of the Red Cross and other humanitarian bodies noting that also technical expertise would be made available for the Nigerian government to ensure effective humanitarian response to the situation in the northeast. 

It should be recalled that this amount comes in addition to over £8.2 million provided by the UK since 2014 to meet the needs of the people affected by the Boko Haram terrorism. 

Moreover, the UK is set to invest £16.7 million into Nigeria’s solar energy programme for which £37.1 million has already been approved since 2013.


Source- Premium Times, NAN, Sahara Reporters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...